Faculty Focus - Michael Cusimano
A graduate of the University of Toronto School of Medicine, Dr. Cusimano entered the Neurosurgery Training Program at the University of Toronto in 1985. He became a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in 1990, and in this same year received his Masters Degree in Health Professions Education from the University of Illinois at Chicago. Following completion of a formal skull base surgery fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh in 1992, Dr. Cusimano was recruited to the Neurosurgical Staff at St. Michael’s Hospital. His clinical practice is devoted to the surgery of patients with complex skull base lesions, and his research has focused on developing novel skull base approaches to intracranial lesions, and to educational studies relating to medical students, residents and graduate student training. He is currently a Full Professor in the Department of Surgery.
- Professor of Surgery, Education and Public Health, University of Toronto
- Adjunct Scientist, Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St. Michael's Hospital
- Associate Member, Department of Theory and Policy Studies in Education, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE)
Recent Selected Peer-Reviewed Funding
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), 2012-2015.
Validation of non-invasive rapid eye movements measurement as screening tool for mild traumatic brain injury.
PI: Cusimano M; Co-I's: Bharatha A, Graham SJ, Gupta N, Ing E, Mullen SJ, Russell KF, Schweizer TA, Topolovec-Vranic J, Yucel YH.
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), 2010-2016.
Strategic Team Grant in Applied Injury Research: Traumatic Brain Injury & Violence: Reducing the risks, improving the outcomes.
PI: Cusimano M. Collaborators: Ackery, A; Asbridge, M; Bhalerao, S; Clarke, D; Colantonio, A; Comper, P; Cukier, W; Cullen, J; Delay, d; Donnelly, P; Graham, S; Harris, J; Hoch, J; Hoshizaki, T; Hutchison, M; Hwang, S; Kontos, P; Man, R; Morton, T; Rinner, C; Roy, E; Schweizer, T; Shlonsky, A; Snider, C; Tator, C; Tepperman, L; Topolovec-Vranic, J; Voaklander, D; Wolfe, D.
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), 2010-2015.
Trauma System Development in Canada: Overcoming the challenges of geography through an evaluation of structure and process.
PI: Nathens A; Co-I: Cusimano M.
- Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society, 2012-2013.
Validation Effects of perioperative low-dose pregabalin on post-craniotomy pain: A two-centre randomized controlled trial.
PI: Rigamonti A; Co-I's: Cusimano M, Macdonald L, Peng P, Lashmi V, Hanlon J.
Selected Distinctions and Awards
- Donald J. Currie Undergraduate Teaching Award, Department of Surgery, St. Michael’s Hospital, 2012.
- Research Academy Award, 1st Place, Best Impact Narrative, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, 2011.
- Alan R. Hudson Faculty Teaching Award, Division of Neurosurgery, University of Toronto, 2008
- Provan Teaching Award, Top Surgical Educator in Canada, 2007
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Jaja BN, Cusimano MD, Etminan N, Hanggi D, Hasan D, Ilodigwe D, Lantigua H, Le Roux P, Lo B, Louffat-Olivares A, Mayer S, Molyneux A, Quinn A, Schweizer TA, Schenk T, Spears J, Todd M, Torner J, Vergouwen MD, Wong GK, Singh J, Macdonald RL. Clinical Prediction Models for Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: A Systematic Review. Neurocrit Care. 2012 Nov 9.
- Teschke K, Harris MA, Reynolds CC, Winters M, Babul S, Chipman M, Cusimano MD, Brubacher JR, Hunte G, Friedman SM, Monro M, Shen H, Vernich L, Cripton PA. Route Infrastructure and the Risk of Injuries to Bicyclists: A Case-Crossover Study. Am J Public Health. 2012 Dec;102(12):2336-2343.
- Diaz RJ, Guduk M, Romagnuolo R, Smith CA, Northcott P, Shih D, Berisha F, Flanagan A, Munoz DG, Cusimano MD, Pamir MN, Rutka JT. High-resolution Whole-Genome Analysis of Skull Base Chordomas Implicates FHIT Loss in Chordoma Pathogenesis. Neoplasia. 2012 Sep;14(9):788-98.
- McGirr A, Cusimano MD. Familial aggregation of idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus: novel familial case and a family study of the NPH triad in an iNPH patient cohort. J Neurol Sci. 2012 Oct 15;321(1-2):82-8
- Cusimano MD, Kan P, Nassiri F, Anderson J, Goguen J, Vanek I, Smyth HS, Fenton R, Muller PJ, Kovacs K. Outcomes of surgically treated giant pituitary tumours. Can J Neurol Sci. 2012 Jul;39(4):446-57.
- Cusimano MD, Taback NA, McFaull SR, Hodgins R, Bekele TM, Elfeki N; Canadian Research Team in Traumatic Brain Injury and Violence. Effect of bodychecking on rate of injuries among minor hockey players. Open Med. 2011;5(1):e57-64.
- Manoranjan B, Syro LV, Scheithauer BW, Ortiz LD, Horvath E, Salehi F, Kovacs K, Cusimano MD. Undifferentiated sarcoma of the sellar region. Endocr Pathol. 2011 Sep;22(3):159-64.
- Cusimano MD, Rewilak D, Stuss DT, Barrera-Martinez JC, Salehi F, Freedman M. Normal-pressure hydrocephalus: is there a genetic predisposition? Can J Neurol Sci. 2011 Mar;38(2):274-81.
- Elashaal AA, Corrin M, Cusimano MD. Cerebrospinal fluid shunt insertion: techniques of peritoneal catheter placement separate from abdominal fascial and peritoneal incisions. J Neurosurg. 2010 Jul;113(1):79-81.
Selected Professional Activities
- Nucleus Member, Specialty Committee in Neurosurgery, Core Exam Committee in Neurosurgery, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, 2004-present.
- Research Director, Smart Soccer Committee, SportSmart, 2004-present.
- Member, Professional Advisory Group, Brain Tumor Foundation of Canada, 2003-present.
- Chair, Grand Rounds in Education, Center for Research in Education Committee, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto Continuing Education, 1997-present.