Faculty Focus - Julian Spears
Julian Spears, MD, SM, FRCSC, FACS
Dr. Spears entered the Neurosurgery Training Program at the University of Toronto in 1998. He became a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in 2004. Following residency, Dr. Spears completed a 2 year fellowship in Endovascular Neurosurgery at the University of Toronto. During his training, Julian undertook graduate studies in Clinical Epidemiology and successfully obtained his Masters of Science degree from the Harvard School of Public Health in 2006. He became a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons in 2008. Dr. Spears holds a co-appointment in the Division of Neurosurgery and Department of Medical Imaging at St. Michael’s Hospital as Assistant Professor. He currently serves as Head of the Division of Neurosurgery at St. Michael's Hospital. He is also Co-Director of the Neurovascular Program at St. Michael’s Hospital, an Adjunct Scientist in the Keenan Research Centre of the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, and Associate Program Director of the Division of Neurosurgery Training Program at the University of Toronto. Dr. Spears’ research interests are primarily in cerebrovascular clinical trials.
Peer-Reviewed, Funded Grants
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), 2011-2012.
Systematic reviews of the evidence regarding chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency (CCSVI) and Multiple Sclerosis.
Laupacis, A. (lead), Lillie E., Dueck A., Aviv R., Straus S., Perrier L., Burton J., Thorpe K., Feasby T., Spears J.
- Heart and Stroke Foundation (HSF), 2007-2009.
International Prospective Multi-Centre Study of Clinical and Radiographic Events in the Management of Medium and Large Cerebral Aneurysms.
Spears J., Wallace C., Macdonald L., Montanera W., Marotta T.
- Heart and Stroke Foundation (HSF), 2008-2009.
Development of a prediction model for intracranial aneurysm recanalization risk after endovascular treatment. Spears J.
- Heart and Stroke Foundation Phase 1 Clinician-Scientist Award (3 Year, $192,000), 2009-2011.
- Heart and Stroke Foundation Phase 1 Clinician-Scientist Award (3 Year, $192,000), 2006-2008.
- Alan R. Hudson Neurosurgery Faculty Teaching Award, 2009.
- Donald J. Currie Undergraduate Teaching Award, 2009.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Ibrahim GM, Ebinu JO, Rubin LA, de Tilly LN, Spears J. Gouty arthropathy of the axial skeleton causing cord compression and myelopathy. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences. 2011: 38(6): 918-20.
- Laupacis A, Lillie E., Dueck A., Straus S., Perrier L., Burton J.M., Aviv R., Thorpe K., Feasby T., Spears J. Association between chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency and multiple sclerosis. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2011: 183(16): E1203-12.
- O'Kelly CJ , Spears J, Urbach D , Wallace MC. Proximity to the treating centre and outcomes following subarrachnoid hemorrhage. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences. 2011: 38(1): 36-40.
- Faughnan ME, Palda VA, Garcia-Tsao G, Geisthoff UW, McDonald J, Proctor DD, Spears J, Brown DH, Buscarini E, Chesnutt MS, Cottin V, Ganguly A, Gossage JR, Guttmacher AE, Hyland RH, Kennedy SJ, Korzenik J, Mager JJ, Ozanne AP, Piccirillo JF, Picus D, Plauchu H, Porteous ME, Pyeritz RE, Ross DA, Sabba C, Swanson K, Terry P, Wallace MC, Westermann CJ, White RI, Young LH, Zarrabeitia R. International Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia. Journal of Medical Genetics. 2011: 48(2): 73-87.
- Martin AR., Pablo Cruz J., Matouk CC., Spears J., Marotta T.R. The Pipeline flow-diverting stent for exclusion of ruptured intracranial aneurysms with difficult morphologies. Neurosurgery. 2011 Aug 9.
- Alkins R., Marotta T., Montanera W., Cruz J., Spears J. Carotid Artery Angioplasty and Stenting for Patients Less than 70 years of Age. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences, in press.
- Miropolsky V, Da Costa L, Marotta TM, Spears J. Endovascular therapy of hypoglossal canal AVFs presenting with orbital symptoms. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences. 2009: 36(6): 745-50.
- Raymond J, White P, Kallmes DF, Spears J, Marotta T., Roy D, Guilbert F, Weill A, Nguyen T, Molyneux AJ, Cloft H, Cekirge S, Saatci I, Bracard S, Meder JF, Moret J, Cognard C, Qureshi AI, Turk AS, Berenstein A. ICONE: An International Consortium of Neuro Endovascular Centres. Interventional Neuroradiology. 2008: 1: 203-208.