Faculty Focus - Mahmood Fazl
Having graduated from Shiraz Medical School in Shiraz, Iran, in 1975, Dr. Fazl spent one year of neurosurgical training at Shiraz University before entering the University of Toronto Neurosurgery Training Program in 1977. He became a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in 1982. After completing a Clinical Fellowship in Neurosurgery at the Toronto General Hospital in 1982-83 with a focus on vascular neurosurgery, Dr. Fazl joined the Neurosurgical Staff at Sunnybrook Health Science Centre in 1983. He became Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery in 1991. Dr. Fazl’s main clinical interests are in the fields of spinal and trauma neurosurgery.
- Assistant Professor of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Staff Neurosurgeon, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Staff Neurosurgeon (cross-appointment), Lyndhurst Centre, Toronto Rehab Institute
- Director, Spinal Cord Injury Unit, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Director, Neurosciences Course for 3rd Year Medical Students, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- DeMarchi R, Al Khalidi H, Fazl M, Bilbao JM. Primary choroid plexus papilloma of the cauda equina. A case report. Can J Neurol Sci. 2010 May;37(3):416-8.
- Oh J, Bilbao JM, Tsao MN, Fazl M, Guiot MC, Del Maestro RF, Perry JR. Recurrent PNET with MGMT methylation responds to temozolomide. Can J Neurol Sci. 2009 Sep;36(5):654-7
- Ali AE, Fazl M, Bilbao JM. Primary intracranial leiomyoma: a case report and literature review. Virchows Arch. 2006 Sep;449(3):382-4
- O'Donovan DA, Bilbao JM, Fazl M, Antonyshyn OM. Solitary fibrous tumor of the orbit. J Craniofac Surg. 2002 Sep;13(5):641-4.
- Fazl M, Pirouzmand F. Intraoperative reduction of locked facets in the cervical spine by use of a modified interlaminar spreader: technical note. Neurosurgery. 2001 Feb;48(2):444-5; discussion 445-6
- Bracken MB, Shepard MJ, Holford TR, Leo-Summers L, Aldrich EF, Fazl M, Fehlings M, Herr DL, Hitchon PW, Marshall LF, Nockels RP, Pascale V, Perot PL Jr, Piepmeier J, Sonntag VK, Wagner F, Wilberger JE, Winn HR, Young W. Administration of methylprednisolone for 24 or 48 hours or tirilazad mesylate for 48 hours in the treatment of acute spinal cord injury. Results of the Third National Acute Spinal Cord Injury Randomized Controlled Trial. National Acute Spinal Cord Injury Study. JAMA. 1997 May 28;277(20):1597-604.
Selected Book Chapters
- DeMarchi R, Al Khalidi H, Fazl M, Bilbao JM. Primary choroid plexus papilloma of the cauda equina. A caseMahmood Fazl: Upper Dorsal Sympathectomy for Hyperhidrosis. In: Surgery of Peripheral Nerves (Kalen D. Conerly, Ivy Ip, Birgitta Brandenburg, eds). THIEME, New York 2008: pp 268-270
- Fazl M, Houlden DA, Kretschmer T, Tiel RL: Dorsal Root Entry Zone: Lesioning for intractable deafferentation pain, A case-based research. In: Surgery of Peripheral Nerves (Brandenburg Birgitta, Conerly Kalen D., Ip Ivy, eds). THIEME, New York 2008: pp 42-45.
- Foster RD, Antonyshyn OM, Lee C, Holland M, Fazl M: Cranioplasty: Indications, techniques and results. In: Operative Neurosurgical Techniques (Henry H. Schmidek, MD, eds). W.B.Saunders Co., Marion, Massachusetts 2000: pp 29-44.
Selected Awards and Activities
- Alan R. Hudson Faculty Teaching Award, Division of Neurosurgery, University of Toronto, 2002
- Member, Neurosurgical Resident Education Program Committee, Department of Surgery, University of Toronto, 1988 - present
- Member, Health Data Records Committee, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, 1987 - present